Small Things for 2015

It has been a good year, 2014. Not great, not average, just good. And I grew a lot as a person. I did better than last year on most fronts, but some were still left screaming for mercy and progress. I learned a lot at work, I read many good books, I met people and interacted and laughed with them and became more confident. At the same time, I became fat and failed miserably in keeping up with online courses and writing. I made a post in January about Resolutions and Wishes for 2014, and let us just say, the plane didn't stay up long ... and crashed, voilently, into a Saharan desert type of a jungle and the pilot was eaten by a crocodile when he found water after wandering for three days in scorching jungle heat and being bitten twice by a non-poisonous and once by a poisonous snake on the butt.


Okay, moving on, I decided to not make resolutions or wishes for 2015, cause they tended to be mostly quantitative. Something which I am bad at, and something which isn't always a good thing. For instance, when setting a book reading goal. But then I came across a question on Quora and decided to, instead of making or stop making resolutions altogether, introduce small changes in my routine so as to become a better person gradually. I took some suggestions from that Quora post/question and added (or changed to suit) some of my own and came up with this list. I have arranged these in categories so that I can print them out and have them at access whenever I need.


     Work     

- Make a list of things to do the next day, the night before.


- Work time is for work. Calling and texting are for breaks and later.

- Reply to mails. If the mail needs a long reply, send an acknowledgement of having received/read the mail asap. Follow the following rule as much as possible - desktop for replies, phone for removing junk.

- Read something that strikes interesting? Write to the author about it. You will get to interact with people from different spheres of life and it will make you more confident.

- With tasks, projects, chores, bills - do NOT follow the first-in-first-out rule. Organize them according to when they're due, and always be working on what's due next.

- Use apps. Use calendar and notes and to-do lists and manage your work. The government and its agencies already knows everything about you, accept it and move on. Still keep everything private, just because the government know, doesn't mean everyone else should.


- Get rid of new clutter. Unsubscribe from any/all mailing lists that aren't relevant or absolutely necessary.

- Before starting a side-project, like an online course, ask yourself if you have time.


     Home     

- Leave the bedroom blinds open so that you wake to sunlight coming in your windows, and hence wake up early.

- Wash. Have a bath each morning, no matter what the weather. Wash the laundry before it becomes crucial. Wash the dishes right after their use. 

- Exercise. Half an hour of exercise is okay, no matter what type it is. Walk/cycle if the distance is less than 3 kilometres.

- Spend time with kids and innocence. Make time if you don't have. Read with them, play with them, colour with them, do whatever as long you spend time with them. The world would seem a lot better. 

- Listen to kids. Just, listen!

- Write. More with pencil and lesser with phone. Keep a small log of dreams in a bedside diary. Sit to write for half an hour every day, no matter how many words. Reduce whatsapp.

- Read books. On Kindle when traveling and out and in bound when at home and near bed. Set a target of one book a week and read qualitatively. Make and update a list of type of books for 2015.


- Write blog posts. Try to keep them short and limit the time to an hour at the maximum for any given post. Write about your experiences, as a diary or just about what you like.

- Take dinner before 9 and brush teeth before sleeping. 

- Pick out your wardrobe each night for the following day, and set it out before you go to bed. 

- Spend half an hour every Sunday organizing stuff. Watch a film a week. Just one.

- On facebook, subscribe to people you want notifications for and train yourself to check only your notifications and then get out. 

- Get rid of old clutter. Clean out the junk in the drawer, the attic, wherever. If something is there for more than a year, seriously ask yourself how necessary is it to keep.

- Use cloud tools. Again, figure out privacy and keep a copy of important stuff online. Scan most bills, memos, warranty cards and throw the actual paper out (except the important ones) after a period of time. Save on an external hard drive as well.


     General     

- Dress for the occasion. 

- Language comes with speaking. Keep speaking and reading the language.

- Address people by their name. If you forget, ask their name. Look into their eyes when you talk.

- If you're really hungry, drink a bottle of water. Snacks eat you.

- A handshake is always better than a hello. A hug is mostly better than a handshake.

- Don't ever run after money. Donate a specific percent of your earnings, consistently.

- Always lend a hand wherever and whenever possible.

- Remember important phone numbers instead of saving them. Carry a notepad and a pen/pencil.

- Trolls feed on time. Do not go into the comments section, ever.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
So there, this is all I can think of, as of now. If you have any suggestions and ideas on how to make big impacts through small changes or even if not exactly small changes, then do suggest, I would be very glad to know. Also, I think I would be updating this particular post over time and as I encounter other important stuff.

Thanks for reading. You can make your own if you you'd like, I am sure they would help. :)

Comments

  1. Heyo! It was nicey to read this list! Kind of motivated me to try some of these too. I love the idea of waking up to sunlight streaming in the rooommmm *_* It's just that I'd have to get rid of all the clutter behind the window so there's space for sunlight to move in :P Also, say thanks for the dream diary log idea. (and ask me to do it too. I'm such a hypocrite!)

    I like all the ideas up there, although it felt like you're a real dad when you talk about kids :P (wait. ARE you? o.O) I would like to suggest you add spending two minutes each day on FP too. Those kinda kids count ;)

    I'm stealing the dressing for the occasion and preparing for the next day from you. By God, do these things eat up SO MUCH of my time! Hi-5 to spending less time on FB. I seriously need to work on it though. Phone numbers, yes. Keep a notebook handy -> where did you get this from? ;)

    Use cloud tools because the government already knows everything? :O Dude! Use paper and pen and keep it locked in a trunk! :P However, please do suggest something to me to store pictures. I use Picasa but uploading them takes a LOT of time, and I lose the original size of the fotos. Dropbox is cumbersome and easy to access by other people :/ Unless there is a password system on the desktop too?

    Use apps --> Um. Not sure I personally would do this one, but you'd know better if that works for you! Good luck! I'm waiting for your reading goals for the next year. I have reduced my list considerably, for quality reading and not pressurizing myself with numbers!

    I'm also stealing the drinking more water thing. Like a weird coincidence, I've become so hudd fat too. Not hudd fat, exactly, but the sad fat where you stop fitting into your clothes. *shudders*

    Getting rid of clutter. Yeah. I find this slightly difficult, what with the fact that I get emotionally attached to anything that's ever been touched by a loved one :')

    This is cool, man! Have a brilliant, happy 2015! Glad to know you learned quite a bit this year. Hope the next year is doubly, triply enriching and you keep happy. :') You rock! Your sox! :D

    PS- Say thanks to those friends too, who made you so awesome 8|
    You're welcome ;) :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS- HOW did you manage to put in those coloured boxes??? I've been trying something like that since forever for the book blog!!!

      Delete
    2. Heyo Ms Banga! :D :D Welcome back to the blog ;)
      I thank from the deepest and warmest corners of my heart my friends first of all, and more specefically some really special ones who care to still read my blabberings ;) for everything they have beena and done to help me literally coarse through this year. Thank you so much dude! ^_^

      Coming to the comment. The idea of sunlight is something I have been trying to do in and out since past few weeks. I close the net windows when despite the glass ones, air manages to seep past, otherwise they remain open, sunlight hi nai hai bas :P
      Credit for ream diary goes completely to you, and I have realised how much more it can be helpful, than is apparent :) You do it too man, it is a nice thing, even half a page is okay. Do, okay?

      I do have kids, my youngest brother is essentially a kid, remember? ;) And I am surrounded by a lot so I know what they want :)

      And by government knows, I meant how government has as much information about us as someone living in your home who doesn't care to look at your stuff. So I guess small to do lists are no big deal compared to that. Otherwise really private stuff is anyway never going online :) Also, I think picasa is the better option, just because dropbox doesn't offer as much free space. Otherwise, dropbox is secure and the best essentially. Just don't install it for desktop, you can set it up to have a password on phone and online it is already password protected.

      Using apps can be really helpful. Of course, it depends on how much is your level of comfort is with them. :)

      Fat toh aap mujhse pucho *sighs*

      About clutter, I am a big believer in simplicity, and sometimes rationalism too. Unwanted things can have a new home with new people who would love them and get attached to them, no? ;) ^_^

      Thank you so so much for reading and finding these nice enough and thank you a million times for typing long comments. I love long comments. <3 <3

      P.S: Just choose a background colour for some text and give some blankspaces to the right and left. Turn the text colour to white ;)

      Delete
    3. ....*course through this year. :P

      Delete
    4. Thanks for this reply :D You're right about the clutter thing. :) Thanks!

      Government ka toh what can we do. I'll stick to picasa then, since most of the clicks are from ze camera.
      Also, the PS is awesome! :D How do you know all this stuff? Thanks for telling anyway. And oh, you're always welcome :P

      Delete
    5. About the P.S., that is what I do man. That is my work essentially :P

      Delete
  2. This was a really helpful read before the start of 2015! Thanks Usama! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome. Wish some of these would of some help for you too ;)

      Delete
  3. Hey there!
    This was one motivating post.
    I'm sure as hell stealing this idea and making my own list :D Though I'll make a 5 month list, because well you know why. I guess I'll keep making lists every now and then so it helps keeping me updated and stuff :D

    Hoping you fulfil your goals and imbibe these little things in your life to become a better person :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, still-long-hair pic girl. Thanks for reading and commenting dude. I hope you are back for good ;)
      And yeah, I hope I fulfill them too, I have already started following these ^_^
      Make a list, and add some cool new points so that I can steal too, yeah? :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd be glad to hear from you. Type in this form. :)