An evening dialogue...with me.

Spoiler Alert: If you are one of those people who intentionally skip the trailer, so that their movie going experience isn't  ruined, and If you're planning to read 'I too had a love Story' by Ravinder Singh, I'd advice you to not read further. 


The sun was about to set. I sat there for a little while, quietly. A few minutes later, calls for the evening prayer started coming from the nearby mosques. I stood up from my bed, washed my hands and face and walked out of the house. I strode in silence, purposefully towards the mosque, passing through the hustle bustle of the market en route. After the prayers I walked back in the same fashion, blocking everything else around me.

Once home, I went to my room, switched off the lights and sat on the bed covering my legs with the quilt. I was feeling a bit odd but wasn't too sad about the whole thing. So, I tried a little harder by closing my eyes and replaying the whole story I just read, in my head again. It took me 15 seconds to do that, and it was fruitless. I could not feel much about Ravin's story. The heartbreak, the tears, the discomfort, nothing was there. I was told that the book can make the most strong-at-heart, cry. That you can't hold back your tears on Khushi's tragic fate and Ravin's helplessness.

While my eyes were closed, I remembered that though I did experience some emotions at different parts of the book. The excitement, the happiness and the sorrow, I wasn't overwhelmed by any of it. Specially the sorrow. I probably had a deep impression of just one instance of the book, when Ravin was sitting in a bus and in his dream, he saw Khushi sitting beside him and talking to him. It was an emotional part and my eyes did got welled up but the tear didn't come out.

I opened my eyes and asked myself, 'Why this unrelenting attitude?' Somewhere, I knew the answer to it. I stood up, walked to the dining table, poured a glass of water and swigged it down. The clock showed 7pm, I came back to my position. 

There could have been two reasons why I was indifferent to the pain that Ravin was feeling. First, the writer, his style of writing, his choice of words or his narration... but I was no critic to judge him, so I panned my thoughts toward the other reason.

Maybe I became too callous to feel those emotions. 'But how could that be..', I thought. Just a few days ago, and for past few months, I was a crying machine (in comparison to other boys). My eyes would fill up with water at the slightest excuse. I would start dripping automatically and awkwardly, while reading, or talking to somebody or doing some other random stuff. I would cry obliviously watching movies, even the Korean ones, which I didn't understand a word of. So after all that, what happened now.

Maybe I was well too aware of the climax, and subconsciously prepared myself by detaching myself from the soul of the story. Maybe I didn't want to get sad, which was somewhat ironical, given that I bought the novel for the exact opposite reason. Maybe, halfway through, I wore my cloak of indifference, my new armour that I made very smartly from the shredded and broken pieces of hope and something called faith. Maybe I just didn't want to believe in sad stories any more. I had enough of it. Maybe I lost my belief in the whole love thing.

All these thoughts made me drowsy, sitting there in the dark. I became sleepy. A last thought came into my mind before I fell into sleep.

I read a comment few weeks ago, by a girl about the book. She said that she cried for a week after reading this book. I  thought, maybe someday my heart would melt too at this heartbreaking love story which could otherwise have been a perfect love story. And I would cry.


P.S: I couldn't think of a better title, hence the above. If you were the author, what title would you have given to this post? 

Comments

  1. It is so moving what you've written here Usama! Let's leave the book aside first, it's your thoughts and your awareness of your self and your pure honest thoughts that I am awed at. I wish I knew and understood my own feelings this good, and to be able to transcribe it into such meaningful words.

    Second, it's not wrong with not identifying with something that everyone connects with. You didn't like the book, and that's it. You needn't think of any excuses like "I became too callous to feel those emotions". Every person feels differently to the same situation. Everyone liked it, you didn't. No big deal!

    You are such a good writer and a real good person at heart. I hope you stop getting into 'sad' modes and laugh and smile all the time. (Pretending to be happy at first, actually works ;))

    PS- I never read Love Stories. Where's the point anyway? It's not related to us and I guess makes us feel rather inadequate ourselves! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And oh! There couldn't have been a better title :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for such awesome lines Ashna. You made me really happy. The sad modes are almost non-existent these days, it was just the book that switched on the mode. But i think that's not gonna happen much now.:)
      About the book, I regretted buying the book at the beginning, but since I had it with me, I thought let's just finish this. And I've understood that these kind of books are not for me so no more 'love stories'. :P
      Thanks again.

      Delete
  2. I am a firm believer of a statement, "No one can console and drag you out of your own cobweb but You". Feeling pity and ranting in the memories can be real pain and I can very well understand that. But at the same time it is also necessary to detach yourself from those memories; crush them; rip them and move on. I don't have an answer to 'how' regarding this which I know You will dig out.
    I'm saying this 'cause somehow I see pity and cry from your soul in this forthright post which I think and take it in a positive way that at least you're expectorating out candidly. :)

    I don't care about the book Usama. And I'm sure in coming beautiful life ahead, the story and the author will be flowing down the reminiscence lake and probably you'll not even remember them. But what'll matter even though a tad bit is what you learnt and picked up. Be it this book or be it your feelings which need to burn out now.

    I absolutely loved this post. Very frank, emotional and moving it is! You write fabulously and should write more often. :)
    And you know what Usama, I could never have been the author of this post because it's you, it's Usama Sulaiman who feels all this. You're unique and always will be the title-giver to your post, your life. :D
    I like the title though!

    PS - If I offended you or your feelings, feel free to spank me. I have my apples on my blog. Bottom right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops! Sorry Usama. Indians ko fokat ke advises dene ki aadat hai. I guess I've written load of trash and a flop article in itself! :P
      Just ignore if it's meaningless.

      Ashna ki baat man lio! :P

      Delete
    2. Rachit, the next time you say something like, 'maine fokat ki advice de di' or 'sorry if I offended your feelings', I'll come on your blog..and believe me, those apples WILL turn hot-red.

      Your advices and statements are such a support for me. And as far as coming out of my self-pity, and depressed mode...I think I've opened up my eyes to the reality and I am pretty happy to feel the air around me again.
      Thanks a lot for commenting. :)
      (I don't know what I just wrote. Ignore if something feels odd.)

      Delete
    3. Tum dono ko koi problem hai? Both say intelligent stuff that takes long to sink in and end it with "I've written crap". :P

      Stop reading silly stories. I'll tell you what you can read. Look out for my prompts ;)

      And stay happy. Always! :)

      @Rachit- I've mentally spanked those things so many times! And now that you call them 'apples', I've somehow developed a strange dislike to the fruit :P

      Delete
    4. @Ashna: Now that you've tuned my attention towards this fact. I can't help but think of Rachit whenever I see apples from now on.(Sliced or whole) :P
      I am not going to eat apples for sometime...:P

      Delete
    5. Holy Christ if the same apple had not fallen on Newton's head, we would've been jumping with those apples and eating some other apples while glaring upon someone else's apples who by the way are dark red in colour and will obviously taste like apples really do when we eat apples and slowly croon, An apple a day keeps the doctor away!

      Now that I have told both of you the necessity of Apples, I'm ready and pants down for spanking. Special request: Ashna, use your hands. :P

      Delete
    6. Just ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!

      Delete
    7. Ahem ahem.....since you necessitated the necessity of apples in this..err..necessary description of apples..and some other apples, I think an extension on abstinence from everything apple has become absolutely necessary... :P

      Delete
  3. Your post reminds of my recent and similar encounter with a 'love story'.
    I finished reading Erich Segal's LOVE STORY 2 days back, and it failed to move me. I was surprised, rather disappointed since I had heard a lot about this book. Then I realized that this book is some 40-50 years old, and it is this book that originally gave people a 'love story' to think and talk about. Later hundreds of books were written, and movies made, on similar lines.
    My point is, that love stories have become so monotonous, that they have almost become predictable, and so fail to leave an impression on us.
    The same story of predicament, separation and pining is ringing everywhere.
    But I must say, that you have described your feeling beautifully..There is a kind of smooth coherence in your words, which feels very soothing and nice. You should definitely write more often :)

    And a title chosen by an author for his own work can never be judged, its perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right. Love stories have indeed have become quite monotonous and predictable. Excessive and unnecessary use of the subject in text and movies these days may well be a reason for it.
      Thanks a lot for the appreciation Saloni. :P

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd be glad to hear from you. Type in this form. :)